Monday, April 7, 2014

IN THE STUDIO: PROTOTYPES + TESTS

{linen tote bag prototypes}

I've decided that my Monday posts are going to be all about the past week's work in my studio.  I figure this is a good system for a) making sure each week is productive in the studio, b) constantly sharing my work and, c) starting the week with a blog post that will get my creative juices in gear.  Well, at least, this is the hope.   Wish me luck.

{neon screen-printing ink tests}

The past few weeks in my studio have been all about prototypes.  I've never made many bags before, but I'm having a blast making some linen tote samples with little printed elements.  I didn't realize how many decisions there are to make when designing a bag ... width, height, depth, length of straps, pockets, etc, etc, not to mention fabric, colors, print.  There are a lot of variables which makes it pretty fun.

And then there's testing out prints + ink.  I inherited some neon screen-printing ink from a friend, so I decided to burn a screen with some of my recent block prints.  I'm kinda in love with the pop of neon on these neutral fabrics.  I think they are super playful for spring and summer so it's a nice incentive to hustle to get some of these products out as soon as possible.

Since I leave for vacation (Austin!) on Saturday, I have a huge list of items to accomplish before I step foot on the plane.  Time for another cup of coffee.  Let's do this.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments: