Wednesday, May 15, 2013

weekending // adventures in . . . RICHMOND, VA

Oh, how the weekend feels too far away already, and it's only Wednesday.  But the fun and rest I had while visiting dear friends in Richmond, VA last weekend will certainly be carried with me for a long while. 

I've been a big fan of Richmond for the past 4 years since one of my dearest college girlfriends moved there.  When I'm there, my Southern blood relaxes in the calm warmth of porch sittin'.  There's never a lack of neighborhoods to explore, bonfires to sit around, or talented young folks to meet.  I really want to live there one day.  (But shhh . . . let's keep its amazingness a secret, ok?)

Here's how the weekend played out. . .

1 /   The main attraction for the weekend was this little fella, the 6-week-old of Sarah, one of my art college besties.  It was love at first sight. 
2 /   Nothing makes a Southern gal more happy than a full plate of pulled pork, baked beans, and spicy coleslaw.  It's a trifecta.
3 /   Epecially when free and paired with a (also free) Black Girls concert.  (No, not kidding about the band name, but check 'em out.)  I'm still not exactly sure the true reasoning behind this springtime bbq, but it was on the outside lawn of Riverside Outfitters.  Sometimes when traveling, you shouldn't ask any questions.   
4 /   Saturday morning was greeted with a stroll through the South of the James Farmers Market in Forest Hill Park.  There, I tasted the finest of Amish doughnuts.  Heavenly.
5 /   The afternoon was happily spent at Great Big Greenhouse, and oh was it great and big.  If only I wasn't having to bus it back to Philly, I would have certainly brought some new succulents home with me.























6 /   Time for margaritas on the porch at the lovely home of Hannah, Sarah's sister who runs her own visual styling company.  Her husband salts the rim extra heavily.  So good.  We spent the evening listening to the thunderstorms and laughing with friends new and old, including one of my new favorite young Southern voices & blogger of The Stillhouse. 
7 /   A simple shot of Sarah on her first Mother's Day.  I am so happy for her & her husband.
8 /   We feasted on a Mother's Day lunch of a low country boil before going on nature walks and sipping on brews at Legend Brewing Co. 
9 /   I normally don't get to stay in a stylist's home when traveling, so when I do, I take in the visit as visually as possible.  Nothing beats a kind host with impeccable style.   
10 /   Saying goodbye to the South is sometimes very hard for me.  So much of my identity is rooted in its soil, and some my dearest friends still call it home.  But I take adventures where my life leads, and I'm content that right now that means heading back to Philadelphia.

Cheers to the Weekend, 

Bonnie