Monday, June 3, 2013

weekending // adventures in . . . 3 YEARS in PHILLY

It wasn't until I was out running Saturday morning in the sweltering heat, glimpsing at poor souls haul their
worldly possessions out of trucks and into their new abode, that I realized that this weekend marked our 3 year Philadelphia anniversary.  Or as folks here would say, our "Philaversary."  (Adding "Phila" to the beginning of any word is oh too common here.  A minor pet peeve, but I can get over it.)

We moved here from Brooklyn for my husband to begin his medical path, and for the first year, I ached for New York City.  We both did.  We missed our close friends, ones that we dined and drank with almost every evening.  We missed the energy, the outpouring a creativity, and the ease as to which we could buy a 6-pack or a falafel sandwich at 2 a.m.

But slowly, we created a new home in Philly.  I began to meet a world of creative folks, thanks to my printed housewares collaboration, Kaye Rachelle Designs, and my job teaching art through The Mural Arts Program.  My husband found his fellow vintage motorcycle enthusiasts, Chin on the Tank, for weekly rides & gatherings.  I developed a love for gardening & bicycling, two things I had neither the space or courage to pick up in NYC.  And before we knew it, we suddenly had the head space, time, and a much lower cost of city living to be able to breathe and explore life.  

The 6 years we spent in New York will certainly go down as some of the best years of my life, where I learned so much about myself and the world.  But I'm happy that we took the plunge to add a new chapter to our adventure together, to explore a whole new city, and to see life through yet another lens.

Image taken on my iphone at The Roots mural dedication on Friday.

~ Bonnie

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments: