Saturday, May 11, 2013

last minute handmade cards for mothers



























I meant to sit down much earlier in the week to create Mother's Day cards, but a handmade treat is better late (hopefully not!) than never.  Having recently discovered the true magic and wonder of art masking fluid, I was delighted to sit down for a minute to design some cards.

If you have never used masking fluid, it is basically paintable rubber.  Once dry, you can paint over it - as I did with some inexpensive watercolors - and once your painting is fully dry, you rub off the masking fluid using your finger or an eraser, leaving behind the design that you "masked."  What a lovely invention!  And it helped to produce some pretty Mother's Day cards if I can say so myself.




























A few helpful tips:
~ Don't use your favorite brush!  While you should clean your brush immediately afterwards with soap and water, I have never gotten my brush to clean up to its original state.  So be prepared for a little brush damage.
~ Be sure to let both the masking fluid and the top coat painting fully dry before moving to the following step.
~ Test out your specific paper before doing a big project.  Masking fluid doesn't work as well on soft papers.

Overall, it's a fun and easy technique and if you are a little last minute like me.  I highly recommend giving it a go.